DepartmentThe Ratings & Research Support department is responsible for producing analytical inputs in support of Moody’s Ratings and Research function. In addition, this department will provide support for surveillance requirements and partner with R&R to provide the necessary support for issuer and investor interactions.
Job DescriptionThe Associate Analyst (AA) will conduct comprehensive analysis on an assigned portfolio of ratings/credits. The AA will perform holistic evaluations of credit risk by integrating credit inputs prepared by others, including Financial Data Analysts (FDAs), RRS Associates and external parties. In conducting credit analysis for their assigned portfolios, transactions or credit reviews, the AA will actively participate in rating committee discussions and interact with issuers and other market participants, in collaboration with Lead Analysts.
The AA role is integral to Moody’s focus on ratings accuracy, research and market outreach. The AA will focus primarily on one Line of Business (Insurance), with the potential for cross-training in other LOBs.
The EMEA Insurance team is an important part of the Financial Institutions Group (FIG), with ~150 rated entities and strong market positions in Western European debt capital markets and recent growth in the Middle East.
- Provides analytical and research support on a portfolio of credits under the principal direction of lead analysts in the Ratings & Research function.
- Provides initial review and quality assessment of work products from more junior RRS associates.
- Performs holistic analysis of issuers and market and applies, with moderate guidance, relevant Moody’s methodologies.
- Supports lead analysts in advanced and bespoke analytical tasks, examples include:
- Analysis of debt documentation; prepare rating committee memo; drafting of issuer and sector research; preparation of materials for issuer meetings and investor briefings
- Demonstrates the ability to understand and identify key factors that affect issuer credit ratings. Escalates matters for discussion with Lead Analyst where appropriate and provides credit specific nuance.
- Effectively and persuasively communicates credit knowledge and rating analysis rationale in both written and oral form.
- Periodically accompanies lead analyst to issuer and investor meetings, and may lead certain issuer discussions; supports lead analyst in ongoing interactions.
- Attends/ presents certain sections of RC memos in certain Rating Committees (primarily for development purposes).
- Develops and maintain an understanding of industry trends and issues.
- Performs certain routine administrative and other ad hoc credit-related tasks, as well as special projects as needed, under overall supervision of RRS manager.
Undergraduate degree required. Graduate/second level degree (Masters, MBA) preferred.
some relevant work experience; solid understanding of credit analysis
Insurance or reinsurance industry experience a strong advantage
Proven credit experience e.g. at a bank, corporate or investor (in related field) preferred.
Progress towards completion of CFA preferred
Solid verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills a must
Proficient in MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
Ability to adapt to a changing environment and prioritize tasks accordingly
Fluency in English is essential
Other European languages (notably Spanish, French or German) would be preferred