Moody's is an essential component of the global capital markets, providing credit ratings, research, tools and analysis that contribute to transparent and integrated financial markets. Moody's Corporation (NYSE: MCO) is the parent company of Moody's Investors Service, which provides credit ratings and research covering debt instruments and securities, and Moody's Analytics, which offers leading-edge software, advisory services and research for credit and economic analysis and financial risk management. The Corporation, which reported revenue of $4.4 billion in 2018, employs approximately 13,100 people worldwide and maintains a presence in 42 countries. Further information is available at www.moodys.com.
Moody’s Shared Services are the front line professionals including Finance, Technology, Legal, Compliance and Human Resources, that operationally support our business units. Exceptional Shared Services teams are vital to the international success of our business.
DepartmentThe Communications Strategist - Translator will sit within the Global Communications team as an integral part of Moody’s Shared Services, the branch of Moody’s responsible for providing professional services to support the success of our global MIS & MA businesses in one of the following departments:
The communications team is responsible for content creation, translations, events (Asia only) and for promoting accurate and widespread media coverage of Moody’s research and ratings. We provide strategic counsel to senior management and business leaders on outreach strategies, and develop, manage and enhance relationships with top-tier media outlets.
Job DescriptionThe translator translates both from and into Modern Standard Arabic (MSA), and English, respectively, as part of the global communications team’s mandate to develop and execute on communication plans and strategies. Highly desirable is also the ability to perform English to French translations. Acting as a business partner to client groups within the company, and partnering with colleagues across the Communications team globally, the translator is involved in a wide array of initiatives driving either internal or external projects. Ultimately, the objective is to drive Moody’s thought leadership in local Arabic or French speaking markets, thereby enhancing the firm’s reputation.
With a focus on translation, the translator translates both from and into Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) and English the following important documents: research, ratings methodologies, commercial materials and other content to drive thought leadership and awareness of Moody’s products and services in Middle East markets. Highly desirable is the ability to perform the same function translating from English into French. The translator uses their knowledge credit and finance to decide how to best position and convey Moody’s credit opinions to investors, issuers and regulators in the local market.
- Makes recommendations to analysts on proper terminology and phrasing to ensure the integrity of messaging; professionally communicates his/her own opinions while maintaining constructive relationships with internal clients.
- Works with strategists and other Communications team members in providing counsel to the business about positioning Moody’s published material to the local market.
- Works with the EMEA Translations Coordinator to review translations performed by external third parties for accuracy and soundness, manage and safeguard Material Non-Public Information (MNPI) and other non-public information, ensure all regulatory requirements for translations are met; and prioritize the pipeline of documents for translation by evaluating business priorities and expediting regulatory items.
- Works independently, often without on-site supervision.
- Where applicable, may occasionally also provide oral interpretation services for certain internal or external meetings.
- May be required to occasionally provide back-up support to the EMEA Translations Coordinator with regard to arranging external translations.
- Required to monitor Arabic (and possibly French) media for coverage of Moody’s research, ratings, and other coverage relevant to Moody’s brand.
- Interest in being cross-trained to provide backup support for other Communications functions including media relations, content development, events, internal communications, etc.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Attention to detail and time management skills, including the ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Ability to advise and influence business partners.
- Positive attitude, with sense of self-motivation and accountability.
- Adaptable, flexible, and open to change.
- Strong technical/computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically PowerPoint, Excel, Word, SharePoint Software, and translation tools such as TRADOS
Qualification(s) Specific to Translation:
- Typically a Moody’s employee working at this level would have between 3 and 5 years of experience as an English-Arabic translator
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex financial research reports, press releases, and other relevant material, including legal documents, both from and into English and Modern Standard Arabic, respectively.
- Demonstrated ability to also perform the above translations function from English to French is highly desirable
- Arabic native speaker, fluency in English; French highly desirable.
- Excellent written communication skills in both Arabic and English; French highly desirable.
- Appropriate translation qualification/s, i.e. university, or equivalent, degree as translator, specialising in Finance/Economics and Legal.
- An understanding of financial terminology and the workings of capital markets an asset.
- Relevant translation experience gained within the financial sector.
Moody’s is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.
Candidates for Moody's Corporation may be asked to disclose securities holdings pursuant to Moody’s Policy for Securities Trading and the requirements of the position. Employment is contingent upon compliance with the Policy, including remediation of positions in those holdings as necessary.