The Role / Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be responsible for negotiating, drafting, and counseling business clients regarding different types of procurement agreements, including data licenses, software (and software-as a service) agreements, hardware purchase agreements, data transfer agreements, data center agreements, professional service agreements, business process outsourcing agreements, joint development and distribution agreements, training and consulting arrangements, staff augmentation agreements, and a variety of other general commercial contracts. Helping consolidate many different one-off vendor agreements into more cost effective, global master agreements covering a particular category will be an initial focus.
The candidate will also review transaction documents, and help resolve questions about contract interpretation and disputes. The candidate will advise business clients on Internet-related legal issues, including cloud computing issues, copyright and fair use issues, online user agreements, social media, and e-commerce. Familiarity with international data privacy laws in the context of commercial agreements is desirable. The candidate will also assist with traditional intellectual property monitoring and enforcement issues, particularly with respect to trademarks and copyrights.
The job requires working closely with the company’s Procurement and Sourcing Group, Information Security Group, Risk Group, Tax Department, and business lines to incorporate legal and business requirements into agreements. Significant experience drafting and negotiating a high volume are musts. This role will primarily support Moody’s Corporation’s newly acquired subsidiary Bureau Van Dijk, a publisher of worldwide business information, so familiarity with the financial information and data industry would be a plus.
- Negotiating and drafting consulting, professional service, staff augmentation, training, copyright, licensing, joint development, and other types of vendor agreements to procure products and services
- Negotiating and drafting data and software licenses, cloud computing agreements, data center agreements, software-as-a-service agreements, and hardware purchase agreements with vendors
- Reviewing transaction documents, and preparing intra-company service agreements
- Providing pre-litigation legal support regarding commercial contract disputes, including arising from vendor audits, conducting investigations as necessary
- Advising business clients on enforcing intellectual property rights such as trademark and copyright, and avoiding infringement of third party intellectual property
- Managing outside counsel where support is needed on the foregoing issues
- Substantial legal experience; strong academic background in law
- Fluent spoken and written English required; fluent spoken and written French strongly preferred.
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills with respect to a wide variety of technology and procurement agreements
- Strong knowledge of substantive intellectual property law
- Limited travel required within Europe and to US
- Experience working in a team environment and strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle a large volume of work and balance competing demands of numerous clients under time pressure
- Ability to effectively communicate complex issues to business clients
- Pro-active self starter with a demonstrated ability to work efficiently and with minimal supervision